International Diploma (Computer Science)
This programme will be available from March 2022.
Once you have completed the International Diploma (Computer Science), you will be eligible to enrol into year two of the Bachelor of Science (BSc), majoring in Computer Science or Data Analytics, or the Bachelor of Computer Science (BCompSc) at the University of Waikato.
Why choose the International Diploma (Computer Science)?
- The International Diploma combines the first year of a bachelor degree with English language development and a comprehensive programme of academic support and development activities, ensuring you are prepared to successfully complete your bachelor degree in New Zealand.
- Once you complete the International Diploma, you will progress to the second year of the Bachelor of Science, majoring in Computer Science or Data Analytics, or the Bachelor of Computer Science at the University of Waikato.
- The International Diploma is taught on the University of Waikato’s main campus in Hamilton, so you have access to all the same services and facilities as degree level students.
- The three-trimester programme offers entry in March and can be completed in 12 months.
- Once you are studying on campus in New Zealand, you will gain hands-on experience with some of the most up-to-date and high-tech computing facilities and laboratory equipment in New Zealand.
- During your University studies, you will also have the opportunity to gain practical skills through work-integrated learning.
- The International Diploma (Computer Science) is recognised by all New Zealand universities.
What is the International Diploma (Computer Science)?
|Entry requirements||An overall IELTS score of 5.5 (with no less than 5.0 in any band) or equivalent. The equivalent of 32 credits across University Entrance approved subjects. Find out more.|
|Start dates||Trimester A – March 2023
Trimester B – N/A
Trimester C – N/A
- INDIP101 English for Academic Purposes
- INDIP102 Positive Learning Practices
- ENSLA100 English for the Professions
- CSMAX170 Foundation in Computing and Mathematical Sciences OR MATHS168 Preparatory Maths*
*dependent on demonstrated mathematical capability.
- INDIP103 Academic Skills and Practices
- COMPX101 Introduction to Programming
- MATHS165 General Mathematics
- COMPX161 Introduction to the Web^ OR (DIGIB101 The World of Digital Business OR MGSYS101 Integrated Thinking: Digital Business Supply Chain Management)^^
^ to progress to the Bachelor of Science.
^^ to progress to the Bachelor of Computer Science.
- INDIP104 Critical Reflection
- COMPX102 Object-Oriented Programming
- MATHS135 Discrete Structures
- STATS111 Statistics for Science
Once you successfully complete the International Diploma (Computer Science) you will be eligible to study one of the following at the University of Waikato:
Bachelor of Science, majoring in Computer Science
You will learn how technologies are integrated to build systems, how to find out what your customers' software needs are, and how to design useful and usable software.
Bachelor of Computer Science
You will be taught about software systems, how people and computers interact, and how to create new software that is easy for people to use.
Bachelor of Science, majoring in Data Analytics
You will learn how to enhance productivity and help make more informed decisions, while using your computer science and statistical analysis skills through data analytics.
Ranked at 373 out of the world's best 1,000 universities
QS World University Rankings 2022
University of Waikato College offers you:
- Qualified, experienced, and caring teachers
- A supportive and personalised learning environment
- Opportunity to mix with domestic students to improve your English skills and make local friends
I chose Computer Science because I want to become a web developer in the future and of course, I love programming. The teacher gives us a lot of examples in the course so we can know [which direction to take]. It's really interesting, and of course we have lots of exercise like lab and assignment so we can practise ourselves.
Studied at University of Waikato College
Now studying Bachelor of Computer Science
A guide to the academic and language requirements to study at University of Waikato College
Find information about tuition and accommodation fees, health insurance and other costs
Find out more about the requirements you need to meet to apply for a student visa